Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 99

Let there be lights, or how I spent my summer weekend waiting on our electrician. The updates are getting farther apart, and I think that bodes well for our lifestyle. With major upheavals like a bed or a stove out of the way we don't have to spend all our time focusing on little things... like lights.

I finally tracked down the electrician and at least got a promised date and time for his arrival. Saturday at 9:00. Deedle was working so I got up for a day of wiry fun. Then, nothing. About 10:30 I called him to check up and I think I woke him up. He said he be there in an hour.

Two hours he called me from Home Depot and said he was on his way.

An hour after that he arrived, with his lunch. He then sat in his truck and ate while I stared in disbelief. Happily, I channeled my frustration into productivity and plowed through my overdue list of household chores.

Eventually he got to work, hanging the under-cabinet lights and connecting the wires he ran back April to actual power. I have to say, when I heard the dishwasher for the first time in three months I got a little choked up.

He works slowly but methodically, and after a while I couldn't watch any more. So I went to meet some friends to watch the second half of the US-UK world cup match. Woo-hoo, draw!

DeeDee came home and then bolted, so I came back to keep an eye on him. Day slid into night and he wasn't quite finished so he crept off into the darkness, promising he would be back at 9:00am to finish.

Right.

He called at 10:00 to say that Serbia was playing and that he would be over after the game. We're paying this guy by the job and he hasn't seen a nickel in over a month, you'd think he'd be eager ti finish. Regardless, he came over after another losing to Ghana, committed to putting an end to the job. By sunset the kitchen was filled boxes, bubble wrap and about 9000 tiny pieces of wire-- but we had lights.

He got bogged down installing the last outlet, as the hole for the cover was stripped and it would not stay on. I thought DeeDee was going to body block him out the door. In the end, he promised to return with a new outlet and accepted a check.

Now, all we have to do pick this trash heap up.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like your electrician is bringing you life lessons surrounding patience. Either that, or he just loves pissing people off that have no other recourse but to take it out on themselves.

    ReplyDelete